Thursday, April 9, 2009

Peace Corps Placement

I'm sure most have you have heard by now, but I am going to Moldova! Where is that and what does that mean, you ask? Here is what I know so far:
  • I'll spend the summer in the capitol learning to read and write Romanian.
  • I will be living with a host family.
  • I will be a community and organizational development advisor, working with a non-governmental organization to address a community problem.
  • This program is very flexible since problems, solutions, and goals are different in every community. I will be charged with integrating myself into the community, working with local leaders to understand community problems, and seeking out creative solutions to those problems.
  • I also get to work on secondary projects of my choosing once I am a trusted member of the community. Some early ideas include an environmental science or ecology club, a volleyball team, a softball team, English literature club, or even a Girl Scout troop!
  • I chose to participate in a classroom coorsepondence program and my current supervisor, in DC, is putting me in contact with some teachers he knows in Mississppi (from when he was a Teach For America Corps Member).
  • The food is very pork and potatoes...
  • Summers are long, mild, and humid
  • Winters are fairly mild, certainly not any worse than I endured last year in Pullman
  • Moldova gained independence in 1991 and the Peace Corps was invited to serve there in 1993. To date, only about 650 volunteers have served there.
  • I have a very small training class, probably less than 10 classmates, so I hope that means I will get lots of one-on-one attention with the language lessons.
  • I will not be sworn in as a Volunteer until August, when I finish training and pass a language proficiency exam.
  • More to come!

2 comments:

  1. Hey congrats on the assignment what amazing experiences you have had! I was thinking about you last week when we were skiing at mission ridge with Tobin. Hope you can get out skiing again someday. Maybe in Romania, you should take your skis! Good luck and I'll keep watching the blog

    ReplyDelete