Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Making Compote

This story is very typical of my house. My host aunt is incredibly hard working. A month ago she was bringing home sour cherries by the 10-liter bucketful, which we would pit and preserve nightly. Last night, it was apricots. Since Moldovans really don’t like to let fruit sit long, we decided to make a batch of compote, a boiled fruit drink for winter.

So, Maria and I went to a small birthday party, got home at around 8:30 pm, and got to work. We managed to wrap it up around 11 o’clock, with about thirty fresh liters of compote. While we worked, a few neighbor ladies stopped by to chat, we danced casually to Radio Iasi playing the Eagles, and giggled our sleepiness away.

Here is a photo slideshow of the compote making process.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how do you feel about all this learning, but for me it's like getting to know better and remember about my own culture :).
    I love you write about it!

    ReplyDelete