Sunday, August 8, 2010

The year to come

Today is the official, one-year mark of my service. I have now been in country fourteen months, twelve of which I've spent here in my site.

In the next year of my service, there are many things I will attempt, and a select few that I pledge to accomplish. The latter list is much shorter, so here's a peek:


[+] I pledge to help the youth council improve the way it recruits and maintains volunteers. They need it, and will continue to need it after I leave.
[+] I pledge to make a (possibly, in vain) attempt at learning how to make Maria's placinta (pies/pastries), and also convince her that corn bread can be part of a meal, not just dessert.
[+] I pledge to reach my goal in my Romanian language competency.
[+] I pledge to exhaust my wardrobe! No buying new jeans on vacation this year. I don't want to like anything so much that it will be difficult to part with come close-of-service (material comfort jokes need not apply).
[+] I pledge to find an answer to our Country Director's most famous question: "What about your Peace Corps Service makes you most proud?"

No comments:

Post a Comment