Monday, February 21, 2011

Sitcom material

On our third day in Moldova, a colleague famously proclaimed that if things got awkward on his first night with the host family, then he'd just pretend it was a sitcom.

Lately, I feel like the writers need to visit my home and check out all the material I have for them. Here's a few examples of Romanian (as spoken in a home bursting at the seams with women) being translated back to English and just sounding plain ridiculous, or in turn, like one of those wholesome shows that gets cancelled after one endearing pilot season.

"Be healthy! Be a bride!"-Bunica (Grandma) Liuba's words every...single...morning.

"Laugh to live."-Bunica Liuba at the dinner table.

Me: "Maria, I had something I was going to tell you, but I forgot what."
Maria: "Okay, so go back to the last place you remember thinking about it and wait for it to come back."

...Maria calling from the kitchen to my room: "Melissa! Did you find that thing you needed to remember?"

Maria: "Are you sure you don't want me to make you fried toast before you leave on the bus, at 6 o'clock tomorrow morning?"
Me: "Yes, I'm sure. It's too early for me to eat."
Maria: "Hmmm...so you can't eat in the morning, huh. I can. No problem!"

Bunica Liuba, while interrupting her prayer to throw her hands in the air: "Look, Melissa is barefoot, again! I give up. She just must be one hot girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment