Friday, November 13, 2009

Think globally, act localy, focus daily.

The publicity material didn't lie. The Peace Corps is one of the most challenging things I've done in my short life. But not because I'm breaking my back every day with manual labor or anything queite that measurable. Rather, it is the task of developing understanding and enthusiasm among people that is proving so difficult. Specifically, developing understanding and enthusiasm about the future of my community. I cannot, and will not, declare myself and expert and simply force direction and goals on my community. Though, this would be easier, it would not be sustainable or successful over the long term.

As a PCV and member of the millennial generation (which means I like to be efficient), I am learning to cope with the somewhat reduced size of my daily successes. The bumper sticker once read "Think globally, act locally." But I would like to print some new ones that read, "Think globally, act locally, focus daily."

Since I've spoken with my colleagues about this, I know, I'm not the only one struggling to identify and celebrate the small successes. Thus, I have developed "the bucket" (see photo) which hangs in my bedroom.

In this bucket I pencil in the small drops of activity that I think I can do. Things that would be a success if I managed to accomplish them. Once they are completed, the tasks become successes and I go back over them in pen. They are permanent, transparent, visible qualifiers of my time in Moldova.

Laugh all you want at my coping mechanism, but it's your tax dollars that are allowing me to be here. I am obliged to make my time as effective as possible.

In case you can't see them well enough to read them, here's what I hope to accomplish in the near future, my potential successes: English Club Winter 2009, computer classes with my partner, scoring "advanced-low" on my next language exam (February), building a website with the youth for the center, and raising enough funds to build a playground at the children's center.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. OH HOW ENJOYABLE...I was just going through all your posts and refreshed my page to see a new one. And such a motivational one to boot...mind if I copy you? Mine won't be a Peace Corps dedicated bucket, mine will be a life bucket.

    I think I need some focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Melissa. Focus daily is the key. I agree wholeheartedly.

    Cheers,

    Ijeoma

    ReplyDelete