Monday, November 23, 2009

Work Update and Thanksgiving Greeting

I planned to wait and write a little Thanksgiving note later this week, but now I can't wait. I just found out, we won the grant to facilitate volunteerism seminars in our district's villages. We plan to help develop local youth councils in the villages of our district. As the local youth council in our town has shown, an active youth population greatly affects the attitude of the community.

Writing grants is, in my opinion, not one of the most sustainable means of fundraising because the community doesn't always have to support the project, the writer just has to be pursuasive. However, our project is among those that invests in human capital, neither infastructure nor material. We are hoping to educate young people about their opportunities to facilitate their own change. Afterall, "if you don't manage your change, your change will manage you." On one hand I am very excited about this project, but I do not neglect the responsibility that comes with us receiving this money. It will be a great lesson in accountability for the youth I am partnered with. I will keep you all updated as the project progresses and would love to answer any questions along the way!

This news comes just in time for Thanksgiving. A holiday I won't actually celebrate until Saturday with my colleagues, but can't help but celebrate all week since I'm accustomed to having a whole week off from classes for it! Oh how I miss that drive from Pullman! I know, crazy...but true!

I am incredibly thankful for all that I have experienced and learned since this time last year. Five different mailing addresses, a second language, and a taste of the D.C. political arena...Oh, and I guess somwhere in there I graduated college. Did that really happen? HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

1 comment:

  1. all of that happened seemingly AGES ago ;) Thanks be to thankful things.

    ReplyDelete