Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Winter, winter go away! Come again another day!

So when you get an email from a dear friend that says "I can't wait to read your new blog posts"...you know it's time to write some. Honestly, the last couple of weeks haven't been overly exciting. But I am just praying the above freezing temps are here to stay, along with the sun we've been blessed with recently. I have decided that human beings, do in fact use photosynthesis to take energy from the sun. When I get the chance to see the sun these days, I have no qualms with skipping the morning coffee and going outside to walk myself (because in Romanian, taking a walk just doesn't make sense).

The sun came just in time because last week was a tough one. Winter started to get the best of me, but now that I can see the proverbial light in my tunnel's end, all is on the mend. Though, I admit, vacation planning is probably responsible for 60 percent of my improvement this week. I'm going to meet Mom and Dad in Greece! Eu vreau sa ma bronzez. I want a tan!

The rough times do have a way of bringing people together though. I have made some pretty good friends here in Peace Corps Moldova. I especially appreciate the ones who, like me, get down only because they feel like they aren't doing enough, not that they don't have anything to do. We have to be self-starters in the COD program. On a daily basis, I am accountable only to myself.

Since my work at the youth center has been a little slow, I've actually spent a good deal of time on my language this week. I met with a Peace Corps tutor in Balti last weekend to study vocabulary for human trafficking. Then about 10 of us participated in a two-day refresher course that Peace Corps offered, this week. Just past the six month mark.

I feel a trace of guilt because I sometimes think that my secondary project (with the anti-human trafficking organization) is more interesting than my primary project. In some ways, I feel more productive there too. I've always loved constitutional law, but I've come to think of human rights issues as constitutional law applied to all people in all spaces. And when I mean all people, I don't mean Locke's people. I mean ALL people.

So there's a quick update. Stay tuned. A speech I was supposed to give last October recently got rescheduled for next weekend. Timely, I know. So maybe that will make for an interesting post. I kind of hope someone records it so I can count the mistakes.

Oh, and if you are one of the new invitees to Peace Corps Moldova, congrats! Felicitari! See you soon in the 'Dova!

No comments:

Post a Comment