Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ten months in Moldova, I think this is love

This week, I had many conversations with our country director (see photo), my program managers, peers, and family about how excited I am to be in Moldova right now. The thing is, I thought I loved my service last fall, but it turns out that is only because I didn't know to what extent I would enjoy being in Moldova at this point. If the rate of enjoyment continues to rise at this exponential rate, by fall I'll surely be the most happily-annoying person you have ever met.

The thing is, Peace Corps has three goals (listed on the right side of the page). So even if I haven't taught a class on program planning this week, or given a computer lesson, or whatever, it is still acceptable that I visited the homes of two neighbors, played hours of frisbee with twelve year-old boys, and cooked several new dishes for my host family. Of late, I haven't even seen my Romanian tutor much, but spending time with Moldovans outside my normal circuit is a great way to pick up new vocabulary. I feel truly blessed to me in here in such a role, a country that a year ago I couldn't locate on the map, with a people that I have come to understand, appreciate, and even love. I hope this blog conveys that message clearly.

Spring and summer also mean the return of day trips to "the forest" for relaxing and socializing. Today, some of the youth and I took the first trip of the season. One where a much-bigger-than-necessary fire was built to bake potatoes, frisbees were thrown with as much enthusiasm as the sunflower seed ammunition in the heat of battle, and I proceeded to lose many a hand at Moldovan/Russian card games. Fantastic day.


I'll leave the reader now with a recording of today's wildlife sightings. Make no mistake, these are no bird calls...only the most gargantuan amphibians one has ever seen (scratch that, heard).

No comments:

Post a Comment