Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dairy cycle of life

Three days ago, milk was poured it in this old jar. It's been sitting on the counter since then. Observe that the bottom and top third have begun to pull away from the edges of the jar, leaving a center of congealed fat surrounded by murky water. Tomorrow, it will be called sour cream. It will be put in food; mixed with sugar to put on crepes or smothering yet another potato or cabbage roll. And even if it does make it to the refrigerator after that, it still might return to the counter for one last stand. One more night on the counter, and apparently, this stuff is as good as yogurt. It can be eaten on a spoon with salt, it can be put in coffee or tea, or mixed with apricot preserves in a nice tea. Or so I'm told. There are a lot of things I enjoy about Moldova that I would never consider back home, but I fear too much that these dairy products would haunt me far past the date of consumption that I have yet to will the spoon to my mouth. Go ahead, say it...cultural integration wimp.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog...however this one kinda turned my stomach! :) keep up the good work!
    Craig's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe :) we call it CHISHLEAK...
    you will never ever find it in USA (i mean natural one)

    ReplyDelete