Monday, May 24, 2010

The Welcome Back Weekend

Man I missed Moldova. While riding my fourth overnight bus (this one from Bucharest to Chisinau) in two-weeks, I wasn't sure how I felt about coming back to Moldova. But after a good night with friends in the city and some sleep, I couldn't wait to get back to site. The whole routiera ride home was beautiful and green I forced myself to stay awake and watch it all go by.

And look what greeted me at home, an overgrown garden that barely had leaves when I left! Things changed so much I feel like I missed something! Apparently it rained and poured (which I'm glad I missed) the whole time and the plants took off. Check out these sour cherries outside my bedroom window. The ones at the top of the tree are already turning red. The minute they do, I'm busting out the ladder.

My host Mom and I sat in her bed that night catching up on the latest news. Our neighbor became a grandmother a month early, there were two weddings for her to report on, a nephew who needed some medical treatment, a niece who is eight-months pregnant and her husband won't be here for the birth, etc. So. Good. To. Be. Back.

I then learned that I wouldn't be staying home long, as we were headed out to my host-aunt's village for Hram (a celebration every locality has once a year, date is decided by who is the patron saint and the corresponding Orthodox calendar). I love villages, where things are green and quiet. More like home to me. I also love my extended host family. They welcome me to their tables, treat me equally as a guest and family member, and I always sleep comfortably in their homes. This is a photo of my buddy Viorica (who is about to become a big sister!) and her new bike. Me teaching her to ride turned into rather lengthy sessions of me pushing and her relaxing. But she had fun and only fell once. Most energetic little girl in the world.

One last thing I was really excited to find, upon my return, was a two-part series of blog posts by my friend and colleague in the Community Development program. He writes (Part 1 , Part 2) about the central focus of the COD program--its true mission as opposed to the "grant writing = community development" notion that seems to be accepted by many in and around the Peace Corps Volunteer community. I hope you take the time to consider what he writes, particularly if you are one of those invitees headed out way. Drum bun!

No comments:

Post a Comment