Monday, January 12, 2009

First few hours

Since I am only here four months, I don't think there will ever be an excuse for being "bored." I set out today to find my office and get some groceries...I came back about six hours later!

This picture is a draft of the Constitution that President Washington edited. The scribbled writing is his comments helping to make a "more perfect union."





Right after finding my office, I just started following these blue signs that list the direction of all the attractions. As is typical, ended up walking in somewhat of a circle.

I noticed a parks ranger on the street, "come on in!" he said. One quick look at the brass plaque on the wall was all it took, this is a historica building right in the middle of the city! It was the home where President Lincoln spent the last hours of his life. It takes all of about five minutes to walk through the renactment (meeting Mrs. Lincoln in the front parlor, no doubt). And then you just stand there...in the bedroom where Abraham Lincoln died. Eerie...

Here is anoter pic from the Archives...the recording machine that brought down Mr. Nixon.



Anyway, I just kept walking...past the IRS, FTC, and hundreds of U.S. Navy sailors standing guard along the parade route for practice. I went to the archives...saw one of the last copies of the magna carta, the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights in the dimly lit Rotunda.



Here is my conclusion on the city's inauguration gift to President Elect Obama: Honey Buckets...and lot's of 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment