Monday, January 19, 2009

We Are One: Inauguration Concert, Lincoln Memorial


What a day! I left our fundraiser in Takoma Park, Maryland at 12:30 this afternoon, just hoping to get somewhere near the concert that was announced earlier this week. As a solo traveler, I weaved my way through the crowds with an extra pep in my step--not being held back by a baby, nor trying not to spill my ridiculous beverage from Starbuck, nor waiting for a friend to stop and buy a button of the shirt of a street vendor that proclaims, "I was there."


I stood in a line for a few minutes that I wasn't sure went anywhere, when we found out it was to pet the police horse, I sprinted the other way. A few minutes later I found myself in suprisingly good position, about thirty yards or so from a Turbotron screen that showed the whole concert. Ten minutes later, Denzel Washington introduced Springsteen, and we were off!



Other introducers included Tom Hanks, Jamie Foxx, Steve Carrell (who I absolutely could not take seriously!), Jack Black (again, hard to imagine him in the role of historian or political efficiando, Tiger Woods, Queen Latifa, and many more I can't quite recall.

Everyone from Usher to Sheryl Crow, Jon Bon Jovi, and Mary J. Blige sang a song for the Obama family. But you will never guess who got the crowd most excited? Nor do the songs he sang quite match the repitoire you might expect form him. He started with "Bye Bye Miss American Pie," an abridged version, thank goodness. But even Obama was singing along. Then this artist sang "SHOUT!" Which warmed up the cold masses as we danced on the barren lawn of the National Mall (left), before finishing off with "We shall be free." Any guess you this mystery artisit is? Garth Brooks. Yup, the country man himself who didn't sing a note of 'twang all afternoon.

This is the closest I have ever been to a U2 concert. But I can tell you, these guys still have it! Though, it is out-of-the-box. I mean that a group of "lads" from Ireland sang songs honoring America. But there message was great. As we celebrate Martin Luther King tomorrow, there are other people around the world still fighting for the same dreams. Specifically, Bono mentioned Ireland, Israel, Palestine, and Africa (though, I was disappointed to hear him refer to the content as one country...) as places still rought with conflict over pride, equality, and equity.
Overall, it was an exciting day. And even though I am not drapped head to toe with "Obama-melia," I can still appreciate the fact that people are excited to be Americans. There is just no denying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment