Thursday, January 29, 2009

"I think I'm gonna like it here"

The title of this blog (which I hear is quite overdue) is not only a tribute to a favorite childhood musical, but also a general statement on life in the big city. And much like when Annie moved into Daddy Warbucks' big marble mansion, I too have moved to a place where the important people wear shiny black shoes, and live and work in big white buildings.

I guess Annie made a big deal of the littlest things when she moved to Daddy Warbucks'. Her new clothes were exciting, her pool was exciting, and even her bathroom seemed exciting. Here's one thing that DC people (I refuse to call them Washingtonians) get way too excited about: snow. It snowed less than half an inch and the city shut down! I wondered why the bus seemed empty this morning. Government workers were told to stay home or telecommute, they shut down the schools, and everyone complained all day. Thank you Pullman, Washington, for your lesson in modesty.

Other than that, the city is tied up in what Daddy Warbucks was most known for: money. This bailout business has the whole city in knots. We can't get through on the phone to legislative aides. The city is at a standstill and all eyes are on the greens.

But I pose this one question to you, realizing of course that I may give away a bit of my political leanings. Speaker Pelosi said we need this bill passed because President Obama "called" on us to do it. If that is so, then why is the White House at the opposite end of the National Mall?

Article 1, Section 1 & 7. Please keep that in mind, Congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment