Saturday, September 26, 2009

Grape Picking Day!

While some kids actually didn’t have school for a week because it was time for the grape harvest, I only got to participate in the festivities one day. I have an in with the family—my partner!
This is Nadya overlooking her family’s vines. The conversations with her and her family as we worked were akin to an “I Love Lucy” episode only in that they were ridiculously hard to follow and hilarious, not in that we actually stomped on the grapes. Lucy and her man only had two languages going for them. I counted four on the hill. However, once my origin was discovered, all I heard echoing around the valley was, “Do you talk to the Ameriiicanca?” “The Ameriiicanca’s dad is a teacher in the government. The Ameriiicanca’s mom works at the hospital.” “That Ameriiicanaca’s parents let her come to Moldova??” They never have to know I was in so much shock my first three days I couldn’t eat or sleep...

After the morning work, the crowd gathered for a jug of last year’s wine and fresh placinte (pastries/pies) Nadya’s mom cooked in a wood oven fresh that morning. We had placinte with cheese and dill, placinte with apples, placinte with pumpkin…

And back at the house, the juice pressing was underway. Ten days, and it will be wine. Though I hear tasting the stuff in between is pretty good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment