Saturday, September 26, 2009

Returning from the city...

If you think these pies (placinte) look tasty...just wait until you get to the bottom of this little story.




When things are too good to be true, is it better to enjoy it or doubt it? How about this: just roll with it. Not really knowing what time buses leave the city and come to my site, I was pleasantly surprised to see a bus to my town waiting at the bus stop when I arrived early Sunday morning. I was hungry, wanted to wash my face, and it was cold!
The second better than expected clue should have been that the bus fare was two-thirds of what I paid to come into the city. But whatever, just roll with it.
And roll I did…right into a village (which sits about two thirds of the way back to my town) by the same namesake as my town. In the future, I will insure that I read the whole placard in the bus windshield, not just the first four letters.
After a good laugh with the driver and a few humbling conversations with some elderly women headed to Church…I was told to wait for a second bus that would take me to town. In total, I paid double the standard fare, was even hungrier than before, and counted my lucky stars because I still had the sense to laugh at my situation. I guess I’m going to be alright here… And guess what, my host Mom was putting those cabbage placinte in the oven right as I walked in the door. Bliss wrapped in warmth. It was only 8:30 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment