Saturday, October 31, 2009

Back to School

The month of October flew by, in part, because the latter half of it was spent back in my training village with my colleagues. The days were packed in with great technical sessions and language classes with our favorite teacher, and the evenings spent getting reacquainted with one another and our host families (I learned so much about them know that I can actually understand them!).

This is the first time that “pre-service training” has been broken into two parts for PCVs in my program. But it proved incredibly effective. After spending three months at site, we have a greater understanding about what our communities and partner organizations need. As our program manager said, this allowed us to ask more direct questions and be most effective in this training time. For this blog’s avid readers (haha!) this pertains to that “behind the scenes” work I plan to do to make my organization more sustainable. Once again, I am going back to site with a long to-do list and a set of recharged batteries. So much to do, and less than two years to do it!

While we were back at training two rather “distractiv” or “fun” events went down. The first being my first birthday abroad. My fellow PCVs, host family, and teachers really made it special. One for the books!
The second event, was our village’s annual celebration to commemorate its founding. We partook in some homemade wine, laughed A LOT, and danced the hora with children until midnight. It was a blast. Moldovan music is definitely starting to grow on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment