Friday, October 16, 2009

Wine Day

There is a national celebration every October called Wine Fest. The main events take place in the capital city, but my raion (county/district) also puts on a show. I think it is and will be the closest thing to “Doin’ the Puyallup” that I come across in a while.
This first shot was taken early in the morning. That is my town’s “Casa de Cultura” or “Cultural House” with the balloons. People from all the villages were busy setting up their exhibition booths. Later in the day there was a concert in that open space.

Here is a small sample of the exhibition booths. One thing about Moldovan culture is that everything is said to be “frumos” or “beautiful.” On special days like this, people go even farther out of their way to make sure that is the case. These displays really were more colorful than anything else I’ve seen like them in Moldova.

No comments:

Post a Comment