Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cross Culinization

After being out of town so much and visiting volunteers who live alone, I couldn't help but get a little gutsy in the kitchen this week. When my host mom said she had a long day coming up, I seized the opportunity to make dinner for her.

Knowing that I would never really achieve Emerald's Sesame Chicken, and I would not want to buy meat...I decided to stick to fried rice, a recreation of Jessica Noth's orange and cumin carrots, and because I had the stuff, a small curry dish too.

My host mom picked at the rice gently for a minute or two, was quite hesitant about carrots vegetables mixed with fruit in one dish, and said the curry dish smelled "picante." Yet, by the end of the meal, and her third plate of friend rice, she asked me to make the rice again in place of another dish called sarmale. Woot! And to be perfectly honest, someone got to the left over curry before I could. I smell more independence in the kitchen ahead!

4 comments:

  1. funny story. don't doubt yourself that dinner sounded good. this is the second entry i've read of yours and i like what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the dinner worked out well! Food is such a great expression of culture, and tasting food from all over is a great way of expanding horizons (and waistlines). I'm going to look for a recipe for sarmale...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here you go, Harold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XvlCiiygi4&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete