Thursday, September 16, 2010

I had plans, then suc happened

I really did have good intentions about LSAT studying and email writing tonight. But how could I turn down an invite from my favorite neighbors to help make the last batch of this year's adjika (a spicy tomato sauce)? The whole process starts with tomato juice ('suc') pressing, and as you can see in the photo, Aura and I took the lead on that little project. Later, we ended up pressing hot and sweet peppers, garlic, and a ginger-like root too. It took all night!

Getting to know this family has been one of the highlights of my service (as if I haven't already explained that here, here, and here). Through our tears of laughter tonight, Doina, the oldest daughter, put into words exactly how reciprocal this relationship has been. "Melissa," she started, "even if I'm in a bad mood and I think I don't want to see anyone, when you come we end up giggling and I forget about everything else!" If only you could have all been there to see her point around the room and mark the ridiculousness of the evening. She was sewing plastic sacks together to haul the corn in from the fields tomorrow, on little Singer machine, while her kid sister walked around the house with shaving cream on her hand because she supposed it would sooth the hot pepper burns she received from the juicing process, and their shirtless father somehow manages to nail every single punch line in-between the adjika taste-testing.

So, I guess the LSAT studying will still be there in the morning. People keep asking me how much longer I have in Moldova. I've heard it so much it makes me want to scream A WHOLE YEAR, STOP ASKING! But, I guess it's actually less than that now. At the risk of sounding sentimental, today was a really great fall day for my book of Moldova memories. 

Oh, and in this last photo is my new site-mate Yoel. He happens to be living with this awesome family. I don't think he was much into the juice pressing, but he does impress my host mom by wearing that fancy suit everyday. That's Doina and Angela sitting in front of him...they are reading the fancy article published about him in the local newspaper. The article is 40% about Yoel's awesome experience thus far with his host family. How's that for warm and fuzzies?

No comments:

Post a Comment