Sunday, September 5, 2010

My favorite place in my favorite host country

I'm overflowing with love for Moldova after two days of fresh village air, delicious grapes, and honest work. On day one, Fedorita and I headed out to prepare the gate and fence for it's first paint job in over ten years. As we worked, we received the standard "May God help you" salutation, to which, the answer is always, "yes, with God." About every third person delivering this greeting turned out to be a cousin. Got to love the village! Whenever I go there, I know we are going to work hard and laugh harder.

For instance, as the sun eventually slipped away from view on the first day, Bunica Liuba (a recurring character on this blog) heated up a pot of water for me to wash my feet. Of course, I was told to go first, and as I wrapped up, Fedorita told me not to look for the towel, "if you dry your feet, you dry away your luck," she said.

Well, Bunica Liuba was not in any mood to let me stand there on the cement with wet feet and before I knew it her hands were flying in the air, only to fall quickly to my feet, which she dried while exclaiming, "the girl is too lucky as it is! Let me dry her feet!"

No comments:

Post a Comment