Sunday, September 19, 2010

"If not you, then who will break the chain of trafficking?"

This morning my youth council, several NGOs from a neighboring city, and a social-theater club from another district hit the stage in an effort to inform the locals about the dangers of human trafficking, and how to avoid it.

Though our rainy, Sunday morning program didn't draw the biggest crowd possible, those who did come, were both thoroughly informed and entertained. I'm glad I had the chance to be a part of this event, because our primary partner in the event wants to take to the road, visiting other Peace Corps Volunteer communities throughout our region of Moldova. Next month, I am tasked with helping coordinate that process. Having seen one of these events, now firsthand, I can only sing the praises of these organizations.

Though, I must say, the five year-old girl singing "My heart is full of longing, my parents both went away...its full of longing and can't hold anymore," was rather difficult to listen to...because it's the truth. Migration and trafficking tendencies in Moldova leave too many families torn apart.

I particularly enjoyed the final act, a social-theater production by a club of high school students known as ANTIVIRUS. The group portrayed the impact of trafficking on not only the victims, but also the families left behind. Their main message was displayed overhead on a projector, "Life is a battle, so fight for yourself!" Those young actors are literally attempting to "be the change [they] want to see in the world," or at least, in their country. Bravo lor! Good for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment