Sunday, June 21, 2009

Host Family and Food

If you’ve spoken to my Mom, you already know this part was very intimidating at first, but I am slowly slipping into a routine I find comfortable.

My host family consists of Mama , Olga (a widow), her daughter who is about to have her second child, one twelve-year-old-boy, and one seven-year-old girl. Recently another of Olga’s grandchildren was staying with us, but he was picked up by his mother yesterday. Olga has six children total, five girls and one boy. All are grown. Two live in the capital city, and are very kind. They visited recently and befriended me for an afternoon. They both speak a little English which they learned by watching American television.

My house is one of the nicest in the village. It is actually three stories and has basic amenities inside the house. I am very lucky. I have a private bedroom that overlooks the fields, and is decorated mostly in red (how did she know??). Though, I do not have internet, so that is why I am posting several blogs at once. Don’t forget to post questions/comments here…Peace Corps’ third goal is to relay what I learn back to you!

For security reasons I can’t say too much about my village on the blog. But some general trends about villages will be shared soon. Specific question? Let me know.
There are a lot of animals here, and yes, I have eaten some of them already…Chicken, turkey, rabbit, hog, etc. Every time I turn around it is time for another meal and I have learned to tell my host mother to only give me half so I don’t waste it. Her daughter is an excellent baker and already she has made several desserts.

My favorites so far are: raspberries (from our garden!), cherries (from Suzette’s yard), banana (not really from Moldova), suc (juice made from raspberries and water—the fruit is actually still in it--yum), and vegetable soup (supa). Soon the apples and grapes will be in season, strawberries too, but I don’t know about that winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment