Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Moldova 101

There isn’t a ton of new developments to update you all on…. because language classes just aren’t that exciting to outsiders. However, I thought I would take an opportunity to regurgitate to you some of the things I have learned about my host county. This will probably be brief, but only because my understanding is still brief. Let me know if you have specific questions and I’ll do my best to answer them (or find an answer to them).

To grossly over simply much of history, you have Moldova as part of Romania, Moldova as Moldavia, and Moldova under the Soviet Union.

It just so happens that my language teacher grew up in my village. She graciously gave up part of her afternoon the other day to tell us about what it was like to live in this village under the Soviet rule. Her story of this village is fairly similar across the country. In Soviet times, the communities had centralized economies. That meant that every person played a role in the greater good. The community thrived because everyone was working together. Our language teacher said schools were full, and people looked out for one another. Now, there are some in Moldova who are nostalgic for the old, stable, comfortable times. However, there are others who don’t miss those times at all because of the other restrictions (i.e. closed borders, etc.). I will make no assertions as to which side of this debate is more qualified.

Our teacher also told us a little bit about the “most tragic times in Moldova.” You could almost equate it with the “trail of tears” in the states. Basically, a group of people were taken out of Moldova and sent to Serbia in order to make room for more of another kind of people (Russians). This episode is referred to as the “deportations.”

Acum (now), in the independent state of Moldova, things are almost exactly as I would expect a young democracy to be. There is no other experiment on earth like it, and no one has ever truly mastered it. As part of this process, Moldova is facing a demographic challenge. With little work in Moldovan industries, many many many young people go abroad to work and send money back to their families. Repartitions are the number one source of income in Moldova.
This trend has a tremendous impact on the demographic make-up of Moldova. Essentially, there are lots of young children who live with their grandparents because their parents are away working. It is common for women to go work as caretakers for elderly people in Italy and men to go work in construction in Moscow.

The priest in our village told my classmate that although it is sad, it is necessary for people to go abroad. The priest’s own son (he’s Eastern Orthodox, not Roman Catholic) has been abroad for 9 years. However, the priest said holidays and fasting times give him hope because he sees young people coming home for these periods and participating in the traditions. It conveys a sense that Moldovan roots are strong and pride worthy. On a side note: I plan to attend my first service at the basilica with my mama gazda (host mom) this Sunday, I don’t intend to comprehend any of it.

So that is a small, very incomplete brief on what I understand thus far. I can only imagine how much more I will understand when I actually understand the limba romana!

P.S. Don’t you guys have any good news these days? We’ve heard about Michael Jackson, Farah Facet (sp?), and the cheating governor. How about some good news?

11 comments:

  1. Almost 4th of July, Harry Potter comes out on my Birthday :), Teen survived 13 hours in water after the plane crashed (they think she is a lone survivor)

    Glad to see the latest update. Seems like you are learning a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love how your so open to their customs and traditions. your stories are interesting and engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOUR LANGUAGE TEACHER REALLY HAD INTERESTING STORIES AND GOOD MEMORY!!!!...I HAD A QUESTION WHAT DO YOU EAT??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question, Jonathan! It really varies depending on the season. In the summer we had a lot of fresh veggies and fruit...these amazing little things called sour cherries that are delicious...but now that we are in winter, it's very different. There isn't really fresh milk to make cheese anymore either. We eat a lot of conserved things, like cabbage. Potatoes are popular, chicken soup, and a soup made out of beets with cabbage too. My parents graciously send me peanut butter, and when I go to the city to meet other volunteers we can usually snag some pizza or greek food at a decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned how people from other countries would go back to Moldova when they can, especially during the holidays to participate in traditions. Well, since Christmas and New Years just past, how do Moldovians celebrate it? What are their old, traditional customs on celebrating these days?
    Oh, Happy New Year by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can Moldova increase their ways of work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Mariah: I posted a new post about the holiday traditions. Check it out!

    @ 6p012876acbe30970c: I am not sure what you mean buy your question. If you mean how can Moldovans find more work, a lot of things need to happen. But the need for business development is no secret. Creating jobs here will help keep people here (rather than going abroad).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found it very odd how people miss the old times and wondered if they miss it then why don't they try to make it like that again watch out for each other and stuff.
    The way parents have to leave their kids behind to go work is very sad, why don't they take them with them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Jess: I have started to see examples of how people are working together. For instance, all my neighbors got together, pooled their money, and built a really nice road in our neighborhood. I hear stories about how the whole street used to be just one giant mud bath, but now it is really solid. "Strada buna noi avem" everyone says. "Good road we have."

    As far as the going abroad, I think people can't afford to take their children with them. And it is harder for people to get visas for whole families. The thinking being that if people still have family back in Moldova, they are more likely to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. why did people have too make way for the russians? whay are they so special?

    ReplyDelete