Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Nuts and Bolts

Since I’ve arrived in Moldova I’ve given much thought to the first Peace Corps Volunteers who set the stage for the work I able to do here. The trials and tribulations of those who have served before me set the pace for the efficient machine the Peace Corps is today.
Regarding food and water…we are given a list of things never to eat in Moldova, a list of things never to drink in Moldova, and yet another piece of large—though incredibly useful—luggage, a water distiller. The distiller pumps out crystal clear water and leaves behind tiny stalagmites inside the basin composed mostly of the heavy metals, bacterium, and minerals that are not healthy for us to consume.

Regarding communication…I have a cell phone that has a four day battery life and text plan to keep in touch with my colleagues (My parents have the number if you want it). We each purchased these individually, but the Peace Corps Moldova mentors orchestrated the process beautifully!

Regarding the healthcare…the fantastic medical team has been interviewing us, immunizing us, and supplying us with anything we need (i.e. calcium supplements and hand sanitizer). As our medical officer says…we are useless if not healthy, so her job is most important. Haha!
I promise to have more interesting (and often) posts when I move to my permanent site. Right now I cannot use the internet regularly so I am writing the posts as I go until I have access to it. Miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. Oh it sounds like you are having fun! Crazy that you cant eat or drink certain things but you are across the world!!! So can other people text you without it costing too much?? Or is it considered long distance for us?

    SMILES!!! MISS YOU!

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it sounds like you are having fun! Crazy that you cant eat or drink certain things but you are across the world!!! So can other people text you without it costing too much?? Or is it considered long distance for us?

    SMILES!!! MISS YOU!

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you have verizon?? That's why I didn't try you. If you have cing/att I will try to get through to you. I think it costs the same for you, but I would double check!

    Miss you too! How was the cruise? Are you still working???

    ReplyDelete