Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Mighty Fine Weekend

This weekend we had a day and a half break from classes and technical training. Still there was quite a bit of studying involved, but as the temperature climbed to a scorcher, all I really wanted to do was be outside. I am loving the endless sunny days of summer that are of late followed up by awesome lightning shows. I even ate watermelon again today (Monday), so summer could not possibly be better.

Saturday I had my first exposure to the cultural phenomenon known as the discotech. It is essentially a night club, but unlike in the states, patrons begin to visit about eight years earlier. I have a particularly intriguing conversation with young man who was disheartened about Americans because of an ill comment made by a Peace Corps trainee in his village five years ago. I am now acutely aware that my presence in Moldova is representing all of you back at home and I intend to uphold your reputation. Though slightly humorous at first glance, my mission is to “promote world peace and friendship.”

Sunday I truly upheld the day of rest, then visited a special feast to celebrate the six month anniversary of a man’s death. Although this event was overwhelmingly filled with traditions I only half-way understood, I have tremendous respect for the stability they bring to families in all corners of the global community...like “24 hour eggs” on Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment