Friday, July 10, 2009

Site Announcement Day

Every once in a while I have these, “oh my goodness, I really am a Peace Corps Trainee” moments. Tuesday definitely provided one of those moments while we sat and waited for our site announcements. Our country director gave a short talk about how his Peace Corps experience was so different than his site-mates simply because he made it that way. It’s all about attitude. Sometimes I think if some gives me more advice I might boil over, but then there are moments like that where all you can do is listen to what’s being said because there is n where else to go. That was an “oh my goodness, I’m in the Peace Corps” moment.

And in good time the site announcements began… When they called my name, the first thing I did was look to see if I was north of the capital, in central Moldova, or south of the capital. A map was drawn on the floor for us and we stood in our respective locations. But now, it doesn’t even matter where I am because I am so thrilled with my placement!

For the next two years I will be working with a youth center in a small town that sounds absolutely amazing. A Peace Corps volunteer worked with this organization in the past and worked closely with her partner (the organization’s manager….aka….my partner) to establish a leadership council in our raion (district). It works closely with the local government, is active in schools, holds annual leadership conferences (both attended and facilitated by youth), and wants to work on ecological projects! I am so thrilled about my placement and can’t wait to get started!
There is a lot of sustainable activity going on at this center because the focus is on learning the skills to lead one’s own community, rather than rely so much on outside assistance. The youth in this town seem to yearn for the skills others in their generation dismiss. I can’t wait to meet them during my site visit this weekend!

Other than that…made it through the first assessment interview and continue to prep for my first language assessment on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment