Friday, July 17, 2009

Seasons Within Seasons

Last week, while helping my host mom pick the last of the sour cherry crop I started to appreciate the seasons within my favorite season. With no supermarket to stock avocados and strawberries all year long, one is forced to think twice before passing up a bowl of cherries you thought you were tired of eating. Strawberries came and went in Moldova before I arrived here, now cherries and sour cherries are gone and the apricots have reached their prime. The raspberries are attempting to hang on, but the garlic has already been harvested and braided. A shopkeeper gave me a bowl of prunes a couple weeks ago, but I haven’t seen any since. Young men now stand along the road selling their watermelon crop and I saw peppers growing in the garden. Though, I can’t say that I’m said to see the massive amounts of dill living out their final days. I much prefer the cilantro that is replacing it. But alas, one can never fret, because potatoes never let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment